Mixed Media Phone Case

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Well I finally  did it. I got sick and tired of misplacing my phone every time I sat it down. The case was grey, the counters in my downstairs kitchen are grey and I'm slightly ashamed to say I have a little bit of clutter. But in my defense my downstairs basement apartment is 700 Sq ft. Needless to say I was "loosing" my phone a lot. 
After one such episode this last week I decided to do something about it and I decorated my case. 
First  I had to decide what to use. Although I have a large Samsung Note 3, I still put the phone in my pants pockets so I didn't want the additional bulk of too much bling and stuff like sat too high off the case.  So, I thought I go with some simple mixed media.
First thing I did was clean the case then give it a gesso primer. After that dried I took some Tim Holts musical note tissue tape and covered the entire back of the case to the inside edge of the cover. I figured the tissue tape was thin enough that it would not interfere with the fit of the phone itself and I was right. 
Then I gave it another light coat of gesso to provide some protection from the next layer of color.

Next up Faber-Castell Gelatos. I used 6 or 7 colors I think. I was wanting to have a background that looked like a whimsical landscape.  You know sky, sun, and ground. I started laying down my color with my blues first, then some yellows and oranges and then my greens. After that with clean hands I used the oils from my hands to spread the creamy color. Starting from the top and working down. Take note that I did have to clean my fingers so that I wasn't inadvertently blending colors into each other.  In other words I didn't want a thin line of green in my sky.
That completed. I took a small amount of black gesso and a liner brush and attempted a dandelion with bits of fluff blowing around. No trial run, I just jumped in with both feet. After everything was mostly dry (I was impatient) I gave the case a good layer of Ranger's Multi Medium Matte to seal everything.


That completed. I took a small amount of black gesso and a liner brush and attempted a dandelion with bits of fluff blowing around. No trial run, I just jumped in with both feet. After everything was mostly dry (I was impatient) I gave the case a good layer of Ranger's Multi Medium Matte to seal everything.

Time to finish another project...


No comments:

Post a Comment