Quilled 3D Butterfly "Prototype"

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Happy Saturday! I hope everyone is having a good weekend. I thought I'd take this morning to play catch up on a few things and get another post up on stuff I've been working on.

I'm getting married in August and I'd decided that there were several things that I wanted to DIY, you know, to make the wedding and reception mine. There's lots of stuff out there for ideas and it can be a bit overwhelming. But after finally narrowing down the particulars of color, formality, location etc I started on the details. I finally decided that I would make my own invitations and some of the decorations for the flower arrangements and my cake "jewelry." I think that's all but that's really enough. My darling fiance thinks I'm a bit nuts but he's very supportive and has had lots of ideas of his own which is fun.
So of course when you start a big project like this there is trial and error, prototypes and one-offs just to see what the end result is going to be and what needs tweaking, and for me I'm still working on my skills so some practice is in order.

I have to thank Inna's Creations for my inspiration. This woman is phenomenal. She has really good tutorials on her site and her work is exquisite. She has some of the best 3D butterflies out there so I've sat and stared at them for hours.
So here's my first butterfly prototype. I think I did a pretty good job for the first time. I know it looks pretty big and I didn't take a picture of it with something to reference the size but the finished butterfly was about 3 inches. Not very big at all. I'm not completely happy with the body as I'm going to end up wiring these guys for both the flower arrangements AND the cake so we'll see if I can get the hang of the bodies. It's a little harder than I expected so I think a little practice is in order.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's lovely, good luck on all your creativities for your wedding and congratulations!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete